10 Fun Facts About Plants
What happened to January? It feels like everyone took a couple of weeks off around the Holiday and then tried to get three weeks’ worth of work done in a week. That didn’t quite work, so to-dos bled into the next week, and now here we are. Sometimes when this happens, I like to think about the exciting and fun world we get to work in, and how lucky we are to work with plants. Below are a few of my favorites facts about plants that help me realize plants are fascinating.
1. The first known greenhouses in history were built in Rome in A.D. 30. They were constructed so Emperor Tiberius could enjoy cucumbers daily.
4. Herbs come from the leafy part of a plant. Spices come from the root, seed, berry, bark, or bulb of a plant.
5. There are around 7500 varieties of tomatoes, and China is the leading producer of tomato.
6. When the bark of a tree gets wounded, the wound always stays the same distance from the ground as the tree grows.
7. In 2010 50,000 baseball bats were made from the white ash tree. In 2018 that number was down to 10,000 due to a shiny green insect called the emerald ash borer that is decimating ash trees. Most bats now are made from maple and birch.
8. Caffeine serves the function of a pesticide in a coffee plant.
9. 85% of plant life is found in the ocean.