Quick Guide: Toxic Plants And Your Pets
More than 700 plants produce physiologically active or toxic substances dangerous to dogs and cats if ingested. Many of these plants are popular common plants found in many gardens. Animals in the wild have instincts, experience and training helping them to know what plants to avoid. Our domestic pets are not as well trained and lack experience with many plants, and we all know a dog or two that will eat anything you put in front of them. Cats are more selective, but still can be attracted to and will eat Easter Lilies for example.
Signs of Toxicity
If your pet eats a toxic plant the effect of toxins may range from mild nausea to death. Some of the signs your pet has eating a toxic plant include:
- Excessive salivation
- Racing or irregular pulse
- Rapid Breathing
- Cold extremities
Your pet’s species, amount digested and size of your pet will all make a difference in how they respond to plant toxicities. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic plant call your veterinarian immediately. Gather up a sample of the plant and try to determine how much your pet ate. This will help your veterinarian make the best decision on how to treat the problem.
Some Popular Plants Toxic to Pets Include:
Azalea, Callaligy, Day Lily, Easter Lily, Oleander, Tiger Lily, Foxglove, Sago Palm, Rhododendron and Elephants Ear.
You can find an extensive list of plants toxic to your pets here.
Our pets make a significant difference in our lives and can have a place in our gardens too. We need to watch out for our friends and help keep them safe in the garden. We can do this several ways including being mindful about what plants we grow and keeping watch on our pets and make sure they don’t eat any toxic plants.