Dr. Dave Goldhamer suggests for high yields next almond season ensure your almonds are not stressed during September. Be sure to eliminate stress on the tree as soon as the nuts are off, which means do not turn off your irrigation. In his trial, he discovered cutting off post-harvest irrigation resulted in an 800lb/ac yield loss the following year.
After harvest, cutting off irrigation to your almonds trees may be the most significant contributing factor for creating low yields next year. Dave Goldhamer has conducted some excellent research on the positive effects of post-harvest irrigation on almonds.
In this webinar, you will hear what the experts have to say about post-harvest irrigation requirements for permanent crops with an emphasis on almonds, pistachios, and vineyards. Harvest practices for these crops require a significant dry-down period with minimal irrigation water applied leading up to harvest. Although necessary, the practice leads to tremendous stress on the plants making post-harvest irrigation critical to restoring plant health and preparing the plants for winter and next year’s crop. You will learn how Jain Logic™ is an integral tool to ensure you apply the right amount of irrigation water after your harvest.
During this webinar, you will learn:
- What the University of California and Almond Board recommend for post-harvest irrigation
- Recommended water amounts leading up to the winter shut down
- Using satellite data to ensure plants are minimally getting what they are transpiring
- How to determine how much extra water is needed to refill the soil profile using SMP
- How to avoid applying excess water and keep it in the root zone
We look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.